The 189 visa Australia is a permanent skilled visa that allows highly skilled individuals to stay and work in Australia permanently. However, one must receive a proper invitation to apply. There are two streams under this visa, each of which comes with different eligibility criteria. Thus, it will be vital for you to have in-depth knowledge about this skilled visa. This blog will help you with that.
What Are The Two Streams Under This 189 Visa Australia?
The two main streams under the Skilled Independent Visa 189 are as follows.
You will not need a sponsor or nominator for this stream. But you must receive a valid invitation to apply if you can cross the threshold mark of the required points required for the visa. The threshold mark is 65.
New Zealand Stream
As the name indicates, applying for this stream will be possible if you are a citizen of New Zealand and have lived for a minimum of 5 years in Australia. Besides living for this specific period, you should also hold the Special Visa Subclass 444, known as the New Zealand stream. Your staying period should be from before 19 February 2016.
Eligibility criteria for the Skilled Visa 189
To obtain the Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 to migrate permanently to Australia, you must meet certain requirements.
For the Points-tested Stream, the requirements are as follows.
- You should be invited to apply.
- Your age should not be over 45.
- A positive skills assessment is required.
- You should have scored at least 65 on the points’ test. This final point will be the sum of points achieved for different parameters (age, qualifications, English skills, work experience, etc.)
For the New Zealand Stream, you have to meet the following eligibility criteria.
- You should have lived in Australia from at least 19 February 2016.
- You should hold the Special Visa 444 at the time of applying.
- You must have made significant contributions to the Australian sector.
Documents you need for the application
For the Visa Subclass 189 application, you should provide the following documents along with your application.
- Copies of bio-data pages of your valid passport
- Copy of one of your national identity cards
- EOI (Expression of Interest), if you have to apply for the Points-tested Stream
- Filled-out form no. 80, with relevant character documents
- Proof of English language skills for the Points-tested Stream only
- Documents related to skill assessment for the Points-tested Stream
- If applicable, documents in support of change in your name
If you want to apply for the New Zealand Stream, you must provide your income and residential documents.
If you include your spouse or partner and any dependent child, you have to submit their documents too. Partner or spouse documents will include:
- Identity documents
- Marriage certificate
- Character documents
- Certificate of divorce (if applicable)
- Registered relationship proof (if applicable)
- Documents in support of Functional English level
On the other hand, documents for the dependent children (below 18) will include:
- Identity documents
- Birth certificate copies
- Parental consent form (form no. 1229)
- Statutory declaration
If there is no birth certificate, a family book that includes both parents’ names can be submitted. If your dependent children age more than 18, the following documents should be provided.
- Dependency proof
- Form no. 47a (known as dependency form)
- Evidence of having a Functional level of English (applicable only for the Points-tested Stream)
A step-by-step application procedure
You have to follow these steps below to make a complete 189 Skilled Visa application.
- In the first step, you have to submit an EOI (Expression of Interest). If you want to apply for the Points-tested Stream, you should submit the EOI in SkillSelect before making the application.
- Next, you should see whether you satisfy the points requirement or not. While filling in the personal information for your EOI, the points will be automatically calculated based on the skills and qualifications.
- After submitting all the documents, you have to wait for the invitation. If the total calculated points reach the 65-mark, you will receive an automatic invitation for application from SkillSelect.
- Once you receive the invitation, you have to submit your Skilled Independent visa 189 application.
The procedure is relatively complex, and therefore you can consider seeking help from professional migration agents from Adelaide or anywhere else.
What is the visa cost and processing time?
For the Points-tested Stream, you have to pay an amount of AUD 4115 as the application fee. However, if any additional applicants cannot meet their English language requirement, you have to bear a second installment fee, which is AUD 4890.
- On the other hand, for the New Zealand Stream, there will be no need to pay any fee for the English language requirement. However, you will be required to pay the application fee in two installments. The First 20% should be paid at the time of application. The rest, 80%, has to be paid before the Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 Australia decision is made.
- The 189 Visa processing time is different for the two streams. For the Points-tested Stream, it is 15 to 25 months. On the other hand, the New Zealand Stream takes 14 to 17 months to process.
Important Factors To Know About Skilled Occupations List
When applying for the Points-tested Stream, consider the following factors regarding the skilled occupations list.
- You should have an occupation that is included in the list of skilled occupations.
- You can find multiple available occupations for work visas.
- With the listed occupations, assessing authorities will also be there.
- This information will be required to know if you need any skill assessment conducted by a relevant authority.
- On this list, you will also find the ANZSCO (Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations) code for each profession. This code categorizes the occupations and the skills needed for each occupation.
What Can You Do With The Visa?
This visa is a permanent visa and therefore allows an individual to stay here permanently. Below are the things that you can do with this Skilled Independent visa 189.
- Not only can you stay indefinitely in Australia with the visa, but you also can apply for citizenship after a few years of stay.
- Bringing family members to Australia can be possible with this visa. However, they should be from your close family unit. By close family members, we mean spouse or partner, children, and also grandchildren.
- The children should be either adopted or biological. They can also be your or your partner’s children. If you want to include children who have crossed 18, you have to prove their dependency.
- Travelling is also allowed on the 189 Visa. From the visa grant date, you will be able to go abroad and return to Australia without any restrictions for the next five years. However, if you want to enter Australia after the 5 years is over, you have to apply for the Resident Return Visa.
- Alternatively, you can also extend your travel period for another 5 years.
Consulting a migration agent in Adelaide can be of great help if you want to get the best application outcome. A professional and experienced agent can help you prepare the documents, get the skills assessment, and lodge the application, and their useful tricks can come in handy.
Internal Link – Opticalworlds