Any overseas student can choose to come to the UK to pursue a short term study course. These short term study courses are for 6 months to 11 months exclusively for the English language courses such as a foreign language or training at an institute.
Read also: Immigration lawyer
Restrictions on this short term study visa
There are certain restrictions that you need to observe and keep in mind during your entire stay in the UK to avoid any legal action against you.
Below mentioned are the list of restrictions of what you cannot do in the UK:
- study on any other course apart from the one you’re enrolled or change your course while in the UK
- You cannot study at a school or institution which is state-funded in the UK
- work for any business or organisation or carry our business either through self employment or paid or unpaid work while you are studying in the UK
- You may not be able to extend the short term study visa
- You cannot bring any dependents either family members or spouse on this visa
- You cannot apply or access public funds or claim state pension while your stay in the UK
- You will not be able to switch your course or seek to apply for UK citizenship
Short term study course eligibility
You must fulfil the following eligibility requirements
- You must be of at least 16 years of age or above to begin your application.
You should be able prove that
- You have enrolled and have been accepted for an English language course that lasts up to 11 months or less and includes only English language as your main subject
- Your course is enrolled with an accredited UK institution
- You have enough money to sustain yourself without seeking help from public funds, or that relatives and friends can support or accommodate you
- You can pay for your both sides of your journey
If you are below 18 years of age you must also prove:
- You have made arrangements prior to your travel plans and stay in the UK
- You have the consent of your parents or guardian to study in the UK throughout that duration.
List of documents you must need
When you apply for the course you should be able to prove that you have the following set of documents:
- A valid passport with blank pages. If your passport does not have any blank pages you must consider applying for a fresh passport before you begin your application.
- Showcase the documents that you can sustain yourself during your stay in the UK such as bank statements or salary slips, latest for the last 6 months
- Your accommodation details where you are planning to stay and your plans of stay. You must avoid paying for the accommodation until your visa is granted.
- You must evidence proof that you have enough money to pay for your course fee
Some additional documents that you need to provide depending on your situation:
- You have a documents to show that you have a permission to be in the country where you are applying for the study course
- The occupation of the sponsor either income, savings or any other funds that will support your course in the UK.
If you are below 18 years of age you need to provide some additional documents if you are traveling alone and with someone who is not your local guardian.
You must make an online application with all the supporting documents uploaded.You must make your application as early as 3 months before your visit to the UK.
The decision from the UK visa and immigration usually comes within 3 weeks.
You can also take support from the Immigration experts who can handhold you throughout your application process. A Y & J Solicitors have been helping students and many overseas nationals to get a successful visa to the UK by providing bespoke immigration services.
Stay Connect with our law blogs..
Internal Link – Opticalworlds